- To develop the technical skills required for successful cake baking.
- To develop the technical and creative skills required for successful cake finishing.
- To follow safe and hygienic practices in the carrying out of the above practical work.
- To develop knowledge and understanding of cake design and current trend in cake production.
- To acquire and use organisational skills in the context of managing time and resources.
- To develop safe and hygienic working practices.
Course Content:- The course has tow mandatory units:
- Cake Baking – which facilitates the production of cakes and other baked items.
- Cake Finishing – which aims to develop learners creative ability to apply finishing techniques to a range of cakes and other baked items.
Equipment etc used/required:
- Appropriate containers to carry completed work home in.
- Trimmings and Finishes for cakes other than those which can be supplied by the department.
- Completion of any relevant paperwork which has not been done in class time.
- Relevant Internet Searches for ideas and examples of current trends in cake production, design and finishing.
Assessment: There will be both unit and course assessment for this course.
Unit Assessment – All units are internally assessed against SQA requirements from Unit Specifications.
Course Assessment is by completion of a final Practical Assignment.
Progression Routes within School
Progression from National 5 Hospitality Practical Cake Craft could be to National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery.
Progression Routes Beyond School
There are many other food related courses and employment opportunities which can be linked to a successful outcome in this course. Please do not hesitate to speak to members of the Food Technology Department about the possibilities.